Monday, September 08, 2014

A Token

 Sometimes when life seems like it's getting away from you. All you need is a little reminder that brings you back. A little token of appreciate from somebody to show you that you are still on the right track in life. It's been awhile since I got one but just yesterday, it was received.

 It was a really sunny, enjoyable Saturday. All week it seemed pretty apparent that summer was very much over and that fall had shuffled in quite easily and quickly. Then Friday came around and the weather decided to give us another taste of summer. Rob had fire truck driving practice at 10:00 so we were rushing around in the morning to get ourselves organized enough to hit up a garage sale or two in the sunny weather. We only ended up going to one but we scored with a great shelf to put up in Alina's room and an air-hockey table to add to our basement of fun. Alina came home for a nap. She had a pretty rough morning. She woke with my cold and ended up falling face first onto the floor from tipping her high chair forward. All I can say is that my girl is very, very tough. If I went crashing down face first into the floor I am pretty sure a toy fire truck would do very little to cheer me up.



We were in the midst of buying new chairs for our new table. Alina had nothing for a few days .. perhaps we should have just left her on the ground. The fall would have been much shorter...

After Alina's nap and Rob's driving lesson we decided to go for a drive and realized that it was still really, really nice out. We went for a walk downtown, browsing in the local shops. We came across one store that had really cute touques and we had to buy one for Alina for this winter. I was holding Alina so she wouldn't go after everything she could possibly touch in the store while Rob was digging in my pockets for change to pay for the touque. After he made his purchase he put some change back in my pocket and grabbed the baby. After awhile I decide to buy a couple of sets of chop sticks. I asked Rob for some cash and he said to check my pockets. I dug around and found this ...



 On the back side of the charm it reads 'love'. He just smiled at me. He saw something kind of cutesy and bought it for me. But to me, it means more. Women! I know, we're ridiculous. A guy buys something cute that he thinks his wife will like and we turn it into a million things. Lucky for him this time, they're all very good things.

 I think every relationship gets mundane. Life gets out of hand and it's hard not to get carried away with the schedules, the planning dinners, the dishes, the laundry, feeding the baby, bathing the baby, studying for school, waking up for work, the list can go on and on. I think the best thing that could have happened to our relationship was our move to this bigger house. Not only did it make our surroundings new, but it introduced so many new activities to our lives. The hot tub. We both agreed that our hot tub has brought us so much closer. We go in and we talk for hours in there. But it seriously is the best medicine for a relationship that needs a little kick start in the exciting department.



 The token Rob gave me symbolizes that our love is still there. He never was a big romantic and I never was very good at public displays of affection. But it is always nice being thought of. So each morning when I go to take my birth control, or go to put my make up on or my perfume I'll see that little symbol of Rob's attention. The symbol of his love for me.







 

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I love your openness and candour in this blog post. I also love that Rob can still surprise you in little ways and I hope your new home continues to bring you two so much happiness! x

Noor Unnahar said...

This is so sweet. Every relation , no matter what is it , needs a bit of effort. And it doesn't always have to be big or ultra-HUGE.

Areeba said...

Awww this is lovely! You know these little things make BIG impressions in our life :)