Monday, March 10, 2014

One Years Old- Two Parties

 What a weekend!! Not only did Alina turn a whopping ONE years old! But we hosted not one but two birthday parties for Alina. Did we split the parties into two days like normal people? Well, no we didn't! We had her baby party at 2 and the family party at 6 pm. I don't think I would have attempted such a task without knowing that my mother in law Andrea would be in town. She's the party hosting queen. So I wanted to make her proud and see that I could host the hell out of a party too!

 First thing- the cake. I made Alina's cake and followed this blog post as my guide... It was very helpful and I think  I did a really good job!

 I made really cute treat bags for the babies but I failed to take a picture of them and I'm really, really sad about it. There were Cookie Monster, Elmo and Big Bird bags. I drew the faces and glued them onto the bags. They turned out really nice. I bought a bunch of goodies for the treat bags like cardboard books, shakers and I made homemade apple sauce for the little ones. I sent Andrea a Pinterest inspired project; Sesame Street fruit and veggie platters. She works in the melon department at a grocery store in Ontario, so this was right up her alley. She did an awesome job! Rob decorated the house for me and had Alina all ready for her party by the time the guests arrived.

The Baby Party

The Family Party
 It was a great weekend of babies, family and friends. Alina is now officially a YEAR old. We have one week left together and I still can't think too much about it... On Wednesday, Rob's folks arrived in town in the afternoon. So when I was taking Alina to a play date, I couldn't help but feel nostalgic about it. It was our very last play date and our last day alone together before I return to work. On the drive home, she fell asleep and she looked so sweet and peaceful. I couldn't help it, my tears started to flow and I felt sorry for myself. When I parked, I took some pictures of her and one for my blog, to show my raw sadness! (Side Note: Rob took the Jeep to pick up his parents with and I had the truck. We don't normally have her in the front seat, but for today I did.)



 I'm okay though.. I'm a little bit excited to get back to work. I'm anxious to get into our new routine and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to getting this first day or week over with, so that I can get over this sinking feeling. But every time that I get too sulky, I think about how lucky I have been to have this little squirt in my life to begin with. AND- I feel completely blessed to have had this full year with her.



9 comments:

Amanda said...

Happy birthday Alina! And I love the cake! You did a great job! x

Not Before my Tea said...

Well look how domestic and fantastic you are! I have no idea what it feels like to want to stay home with a one year old but I can imagine it’d be pretty easy, because Alina is pretty cute. And also it seems a lot more… joyous… thinking about one year olds instead of offices and computers and adults. I hope you’re happy with your new routine though, and real fast! I don’t like seeing sadness from you, raw or not. Tell Alina happy belated birthday! She is aging gracefully, hardly looks her age at all.

Heather @ The Maritime Reader said...

Oh my goodness, these pictures are adorable!! You rocked that Elmo cake...it looks awesome! Alina is so, so cute and I'm glad you had such a great time celebrating her!!! I know exactly how you feel about the mat leave ending thing...it does get easier, but it will surely be hard at first! I hope the routine change isn't too hard on either of you. Happy Birthday to Alina!!! (I love the 1 and A thing from Sesame Street too!)

Alex[andra] said...

That cake looks AMAZING! You did such a good job! Congrats! The "raw" picture of you, you can really see the resemblance between you and Alina. Honestly, at first, I thought that was a grown up picture of Alina, but then I was like, "That doesn't make sense.."

I hope you have a wonderful first week back to work!

Happy birthday Alina!

Lisa-Jade said...

A very happy birthday to your gorgeous girl!

Jade Wright said...

She's a little pisces!!! I think! My mum is also a pisces.. great people ;)

Sounds like a mad party day! She must have been exhausted after all of that attention!! :) Looks like she was on top of the world!! :)

Wonderful and gorgeous cake! Pity about not taking photos of the goodie bags for the kiddies - that sounded very sweet!! <3

www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Alina!

What a cute first birthday party and girl you killed it with that cake! It's perfect!

The pictures are great, it looks like such a fun party.

I can't believe it's almost time for you to go back to work. I remember finding your blog (also, how did we even find each other?! I can't remember!) and you were talking about going back to work in March. It seemed so far away and I remember thinking to myself that I should move to Canada when I have babies because helllllo we get less than 3 months for maternity leave! So crazy.

Snuggle the baby lots this week and even shedding some tears you're gorgeous <3 Thinking of ya Mama!

Amanda Elizabeth - Meet @ the Barre said...

Awwwww Happy Birthday to Alina! Great job on that cake I am impressed!!!

Megan said...

Your baby is too cute!