Tuesday, December 24, 2013

On Christmas Eve

 Today has always been my favourite day of the holiday season. It's the day that you wake up as a kid fully knowing that it is the day before Christmas.  Today is the day when your parents tell you that there is only ONE more sleep until Santa comes. Today will be the most exciting day because Christmas is so close you can taste it. You are practically vibrating from the minute you wake up until the minute (and many after, in my case) you go to sleep.

  We always went to Grandma and Grandpa Wirth's house for dinner on Christmas Eve night. Their house wasn't always super exciting but it meant that it was Christmas Eve and that was enough for us kids to get through those hours of anticipation. We knew that after we left Grandma and Grandpa's we would be going home to get ready for bed. !!! The one day of the year that kids want to go to sleep!

Christmas 1989
  So I sit here on Christmas Eve, the baby girl is asleep upstairs, my husband is napping on the couch beside me. I still feel that tickle of excitement and anxiousness in my tummy in anticipation for Christmas! I am watching "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" on t.v. and I have plans to pick up one more present, wrap all of my presents and to take Alina skating on an outdoor rink later on. We're going to church tonight and Rob is playing guitar to "Oh Holy Night" while his mama sings along. Andrea sings in the church choir and we are getting Alina baptized tomorrow during Christmas morning mass, so we thought it would be a nice idea to go to mass tonight too.

 Today is still my favourite day of the year. I will enjoy every moment of today and I will soak it all up because before I know it; it will be over.

Christmas 2013.
 I may look like the young lady in the picture above, but I feel like the little girl in the first picture! Merry Christmas to everyone out there.. The holidays are such a special time to appreciate what we have, who we love and most importantly- to get presents!!! Soak up every moment of this magical time of year!


4 comments:

Amanda said...

I love the walk down Christmas memory lane and it will be so exciting to have Alina baptized on Christmas. Merry Christmas to you all!!! Xxx

Brianna said...

I hope you're enjoying your day! I just love all of the 'memories' associated with Christmas! Especially of anticipation :-).

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Noor Unnahar said...

It's so sweet to read about your Christmas preparation Haley . And heck yes , you look younger in the photo above (actually last one)

Areeba said...

So sweet Haley! The little Haley looks so cute! Now I can't wait to read full recap of your Christmas!